Pegasus is Hiring!
Pegasus Animal Sanctuary is located 5 minutes south of Port Perry on 97 acres of beautiful rolling, wooded farm land . The vision and mission of Jack and Rita Hurst, is to rescue abused, neglected and abandoned animals, rehabilitate them and give them a second chance to live out the rest of their natural lives in a caring, loving environment. This is what guides us because every animal matters . Pegasus currently houses two pigs, two ducks, four chickens, two miniature horses and two donkeys. While we have a team of volunteers to help with tasks, we need an experienced person to oversee the operations. Our vision is to expand and bring in more animals, as well as build an education and community centre for the general public to have access to.
If you have a passion for animals, people, and the great outdoors, we may have the opportunity of a lifetime for you! Pegasus Animal Sanctuary is currently looking for a Barn Operations Manager. This is an important role in helping us grow towards achieving our vision.
Responsibilities as follows:
- Daily monitoring of all animals including diet, health, physical condition and behavior.
- Establish and oversee a daily routine that makes sense and one that evolves with changing conditions.
- Determine appropriate nutritional programs for all animals. Ensure animals are fed and watered as per established feeding schedule
- Arrange, consult and be present for veterinary, farrier, and other professional consultant visits
- Provide medical care and administer medications as directed by our veterinarian
Barn & Facilities Maintenance:
- Ensure routine cleaning, sweeping, mucking out and general maintenance of the barn, barnyard, shelters and paddock environments is performed to required standards.
- Manage general facilities maintenance and repairs (fencing, structures)
- Coordinate delivery and storage of hay, straw, shavings, equipment and other food supplies for the residents with local organizations that donate and those we have to purchase supplies from.
- Develop and maintain good pasture management practices, including timely spreading of manure, harrowing, mowing weeds, pasture rotation, etc.
- Make improvements/changes to facilities and/or barn as required, in collaboration with Owners and other volunteers (we have some very skilled volunteers!)
- Continually evaluate volunteer coverage. Collaborate with volunteer coordinator to insure coverage on all shifts.
- Responsible to oversee new volunteer orientation and training sessions (reviewing policies and procedures and insuring all sign offs complete, etc.)
- Communicate standard and consistent messaging.
- Ensure all staff/volunteers conduct activities in the safest possible manner to insure their health and safety as well as the animals’
- Continuously evaluate policies and procedures. Revise as required in discussion with key volunteers and Jack & Rita (owners).
- Ensure daily logs and animal care records are maintained
- Create yearly schedule of animal care activities
- Provide input regarding barn operations, open days, group visits, worker health and safety, and other activities
- Give barn and animal updates and educational talks to the public: for example, at donor and special events, for media interviews etc.
- Assist with off-site public relations and promotional activities
- Provide information to the communications team to be emailed to all volunteers as required
- Help spread word of the work we are doing at Pegasus to attract sponsors and volunteers
This role requires a high level of physical fitness as well as the ability to carry/move heavy objects.
Tell us why you would be the perfect candidate for this position. Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.