Volunteer With Us!
Pegasus Animal Sanctuary is located 5 minutes south of Port Perry on 97 acres of beautiful rolling, wooded farm land . The vision and mission of Jack and Rita Hurst is to rescue abused, neglected and abandoned animals, rehabilitate them and give them a second chance to live out the rest of their natural lives in a caring, loving environment. This is what guides us because every animal matters . Pegasus currently houses two pigs, two ducks, two miniature horses and two donkeys and four chickens. We have a team of volunteers to help with caring for our animal residents, and we would like to expand and bring in more animals, as well as build an education and community centre for the general public to have access to.
If you have a passion for animals and barn work, Pegasus Animal Sanctuary has a great opportunity for you! Daily shifts are available with morning times of 8:30 – 11 am. Afternoon shift is 4:30 – 7 pm. Volunteers must be available for one shift on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Week-day shifts are also available. We are a facility that needs volunteers 365 days a year and need people to work in all weather conditions. While we like to have fun and give pigs belly rubs, there are core responsibilities required of our volunteers. This is what you will be doing:
- Leading animals to pasture
- Feeding and watering animals according to the policies, procedures, and feeding schedule
- Cleaning of all dishes, buckets, etc. used for the animals
- Monitor animals to make sure they are eating and drinking properly
- Walk animals and exercise them as appropriate
- Mucking out of stalls (this means removing manure and other contaminants from stalls)
- Replacing bedding (shavings, straw, etc.)
- Dumping wheelbarrows
- Cleaning all equipment used to clean stalls and barn
- Sweeping barn and keeping floor clean
- Helping with improvements/changes to facilities and/or barn as needed in collaboration with Owners and other volunteers (we have some very skilled volunteers!)
- Help us ensure all staff/volunteers conduct activities in the safest way possible to insure their health and safety and that of the animals
- Insure daily logs and animal care records are maintained
- Communicate concerns to the Barn Manager in a timely fashion
- Help spread word of the work we are doing at Pegasus to attract sponsors and volunteers
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old (or 14 / 15 years old when accompanied by a parent or guardian). Hands-on experience with large farm animals is not required but a desire to learn and compassion for all animals definitely is. The role requires a considerable level of physical fitness as well as the ability to carry and move heavy objects.
If you are interested in joining our team, please contact Pegasus co-founder Jack Hurst. (647-292-1700 | email firstname.lastname@example.org)